Do you know how important packaging is to your customers? Data shows that 33% of all consumer decision-making is based on packaging. That means that the way a product looks sitting on your shelf can solely determine whether or not a shopper picks it up and buys it – and you don’t have too much time to make a great first impression.
You Have Mere Seconds to Make An Impression
According to Business Insider, first impressions are made within seven seconds. Take out your phone and pull up the stopwatch app. Now time seven seconds. It goes by pretty quickly, doesn’t it? That’s the amount of time people spend scanning a product’s packaging to determine whether or not they want to pick it up and learn more about it.
Product packaging tells a consumer a lot about the quality of the contents within. If packaging is cheap, flimsy, misleading, if the graphics are poor, if the wording is confusing, etc., it sends a correlating message to the shopper that the contents will probably be sub-par and they will pass it up.
The Factors That Create a Favorable First Impression
So, just what are consumers looking for in packaged goods? These are the factors that influence how they feel about a product based on packaging alone:
- Fonts: We associate fonts with an expression of personality. The wrong font can send the wrong message. Equally important is readability. Product packaging with fonts that are difficult to read will be ignored.
- Color: The color of a package sends very important messages. You can read in depth about color theory and packaging, but here is a sampling of color messaging:
- White: Innocence, simplicity, cleanliness, purity
- Black: Power, control, heaviness, luxury
- Red: Power, excitement
- Yellow: Happiness, joy
- Green: Growth, harmony, eco-friendliness
- Premium feel: 52% of customers would return to purchase a premium-packaged product.
- Transparency: Label Insight’s 2016 Transparency ROI Study, revealed that nine or ten consumers make food choices based on transparency. Furthermore:
- 73% of shoppers said they would be willing to pay more for products that provided full transparency.
- 30% of shoppers determine product freshness by appearance. Clean labeling and see-through packaging impact a shopper’s first impression of a snack food’s freshness.
Are You Ready to Appeal To Your Shopper’s Packaging Desires?
If you are ready to start offering your customers healthy snack products with transparent packaging that makes a great first impression, talk to Mister Snacks. We have always provided clear labeling and transparent packaging that keeps customers coming back for more. For more information on how our products and displays can help you increase customer loyalty and boost sales and margins, contact us today.